School performances typically have some unique requirements, so Tamashii offers a special school package;
Our school performance programme;
- A weekday daytime performance date, consisting of;
Up to three (3) 20-minute performances in sequence
- This allows you to divide your classes into 3 groups
- An introduction to taiko drums, a bit of Japanese culture, and the history of the drums
- A rhythm game, involving all students, to help them understand basic rhythms and call-and-answer technique
- An opportunity for some of the students to use the drums directly, under the guidance of our professional taiko teachers
We can perform in your school hall, or outdoors (weather permitting).
We tailor our programme to the level of the school. For primary schools, we often do group interactions, whereas intermediate school and college students are often more interested in a workshop approach.
Contact us for availability and rates.
Tamashii has two NZ-certified professional music teachers on our performing team. When they are not busy teaching the next generation of New Zealand musicians, our own team gets the benefit of their instructional expertise.
We also can provide a student workshop for culturally & musically interested students.
>> Learn more
We also enjoy supporting Auckland schools with their fundraising objectives, so if you have a particular approach in mind let us know.
In fundraisers, we generally do a single 20-minute evening performance, and the school can mix that in with other events and student-led performances, and sell tickets to the community.
Young Childrens' workshops
Tamashii also organizes small-format workshops for playcentres, day care centers, church schools and more. For very young children, we can bring a drum to you, and a teacher to demonstrate taiko, and give the kids an opportunity to try some taiko!